Sainte-Chapelle - Sainte-Chapelle information and pictures
(Holy Chapel) was erected by King Louis IX and is located on the Île de la Cité. The cathedral was designed to house relics and treasures of the Crown. Some of the relics including the Crown of Thorns
, King Loius IX bought from the Byzantine emperor. Today the Crown of Thorns is kept at the Notre-Dame Cathedral
located very close to Sainte-Chapelle church.
The Gothic church has over 1000 beautiful stained glass paintings portraying religious scenes. The rose window portrays the Apocalypse and the upper chapel windows portray scenes from the Old and New Testaments.
Overall the stained glass paintings cover area of 600 sq meters (6458 sq ft) and great percentage of them are still original 13th century paintings.
The Upper chapel was reserved for the royal family while the lower chapel was for the masses. The lower chapel was dedicated to Virgin Mary.
The spire of Sainte-Chapelle is 74 meters high (245ft) and was rebuilt 4 times.
Sainte-Chapelle Paris, Stained Glass
Where is Sainte-Chapelle: 4 Blvd du Palais, : Île de la Cité, arrondissement 1
How to get to Sainte-Chapelle: By Metro line 4, Cité station.
Opening Hours: Daily from 9:30 AM to 6:00PM,
November to February from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Please help us build a better site. Add your comments about Sainte-Chapelle here