Nymphenburg Palace - Nymphenburg Palace information and pictures
The Nymphenburg Palace
used to be the main summer residence of the Bavarian rulers. Called the Schloss Nymphenburg
in German or the Nymph's Castle, this attractive Baroque palace is situated in Munich
A Brief History
After the birth of Maximilian II Emanuel, Henriette Adelaide of Savoy and Ferdinand Maria, the electoral couple, commissioned the palace in 1644 to architect Agostino Barelli. The central pavilion of the building was constructed in 1675.
Like the Residenz
Nymphenburg Palace didn’t keep the original planning. It has many additions and the first one was done by Maximilian Emanuel himself. He started carrying out systematic extensions of the building in 1701. During that time, Bavaria was one of the Roman Empire's sovereign electorates. Giovanni Antonio Viscardi and Enrico Zucalli added two more pavilions, one on each side (north and south) of the Barelli's palace. Court stables to the south of the palace were also built later on. An orangery was constructed as well as a grand circle with baroque style mansions - built by Emperor Charles VII Albert. The façade of the center pavilion was later redesigned by Joseph Effner in 1716 and was rebuilt in Baroque style. The gables were then removed by Leo von Klenze in 1826.
At present, the Nymphenburg Palace is open for visitors. However, it is still the home to the Wittelsbach (presently Franz, Duke of Bavaria).
The Palace and Its Park
The Nymphenburg Palace is one of Munich's most famous sights, with overall width of the baroque facades at close to 700 meters. The Stone Halll and the ceiling frescoes created by JB Zimmerman and F. Zimmerman as well as the decoration by Francois De Cuvillies all add to the impressive look of the palace. The Stone Hall acts as the grand hall for the entire palace.
In the court stables, visitors can find the Marstallmuseum, a museum for ancient carriages, which played part in many historical events including Emperor Charles VII’s coronation. One of the best sights in the museum is the collection of King Ludwig II's superb carriages.
Outside the Palace is the two hundred hectare park which used to be an Italian garden. The parkland was rearranged by Dominique Girard into a French-style garden, and finally transformed into an English garden by Friedrich Ludwig von Sckell.
The palace and its park contribute to the economic growth of Munich. They attract about 300,000 visitors a year, together with other attractions in the region.
Where is Nymphenburg Palace: Ausfahrtsallee
How to get to Nymphenburg Palace: U-bahn U1, U7: Rotkreutzplatz
Opening Hours: Daily - April-15 October: 9 am-6 pm
16 October-March: 10 am-4 pm
Please help us build a better site. Add your comments about Nymphenburg Palace here