- Athens is named after Athena, the goddess of wisdom.
- In 5th century BC, Athens experienced its Golden Age, under the reign of Pericles.
- Athens is the capital city of Greece.
- In 1896 the first modern Olympic Games were held in Athens.
- Athens is widely referred to as the ‘Birthplace of Democracy’ and ‘Cradle of Western civilization’.
- Athens was the birthplace of many prominent writers, philosophers, politicians and scientists of the ancient world, including Sophocles, Socrates and Pericles.